Saturday, October 29, 2011

O Christmas Trees


                                                               "Love, Peace & Joy"

DSC_8404_509x768

DSC_8396_509x768

DSC_8451_1024x678
 
DSC_8368_1024x678
    Traditional Christmas puddings covered with sugarpaste double as edible Christmas decorations.

Less than two months to Christmas! I love the spirit of Christmas, the message of salvation through Jesus, the joy of families getting together in the last few days of the year, and of course, the food, the fun and the whole atmosphere of love, peace and joy.

Making the Christmas puddings brought Christmas to my house yesterday. I was singing Christmas carols and missing my daughter and oldest son. This will be the second year that my daughter won't be home for Christmas. I'm looking forward to having my son Ming around. He was Masterchef Monash two years ago and it's great when he and Wey are in the kitchen. Ming's the guy we trust with risottos while Wey not just cooks great pasta, he makes them. I love it when Ming and Yi have their friends over for rowdy nights of volleyball, cards (yes, but no gambling), Guitar Hero and new games that Ming brings home from Melbourne. 7 weeks to go.

The cone-shaped Jelliriffic! Nick Munro moulds are perfect for making little Christmas puddings which you can decorate into Christmas trees and give as presents to friends. I've used moulding sugarpaste/fondant to cover the puddings because they can last longer than buttercream. Sugarpaste is such a cinch to work with and I had so much fun this morning making these trees. If I had more time, I'd make a tree with the tiniest ornaments. Candy sticks, wrapped presents, bells, ooh.

We got the pudding burning alright but the flames didn't show on the photos so we moved into the storeroom where it was dark. It was fun and gorgeous when the 'tree' lighted up, flames of blue, purple and red dancing on the tree and around the plate. I can imagine the drama of bringing a lighted Chistmas pudding to the dining table, with all the lights switched off. Yes, that's what I'll do this Christmas. Thank you, Olympus for the giveaway camera and Royal Selangor Pewter for the beautiful moulds. I hope the collection from the sales of the mould will be beyond expectations. I am sure the other 9 bloggers are also relieved to have completed (almost) the 30-day Challenge and happy that their efforts have helped to raise funds for the Breast Cancer Welfare Association Of Malaysia. If you haven't yet bought the mould, tomorrow is the last day to do so. In the spirit of Christmas, give generously to bless others!

DSC_8311_509x768
                          My Christmas pudding is white. That's what happens when you omit the treacle and forget the sugar! No worries, I have the moulds and I'll make more for Christmas. The flames didn't show up in this photo.

DSC_8343_509x768
                         Lucky that today is Saturday and Hub was around to help me light the pudding. The last time I flambeed anything was when I made crepes suzette (remember those?) to impress my ex-boyfriend. He's now my Hub.

DSC_8345_509x768
                           In our dark storeroom the flames were beautiful. Even the plate was lighted up.
                         
Christmas Pudding (1 cone)
15 gm plain flour
50 gm brown sugar
25 gm suet (I substituted with butter)
15 gm breadcrumbs
1/8 tsp each of ground cinnamon, nutmeg and mixed spice
100 gm mixed fruit and peel
25 gm raisins
10 gm nuts (almonds or hazelnuts etc)
1/4 apple
zest of 1/2 orange + the juice
1/4 tbsp rum
1 tsp treacle
1/2 egg
milk

1. Mix everything in a bowl, adding some milk or water to make dropping consistency. Cover with wrap and leave in fridge overnight.
2. Grease the Nick Munro mould and spoon the pudding batter in, packing firmly.
3. Cover the top with a piece of foil and secure with a piece of thread to prevent spill.
4. Steam 1 hour at medium heat.
5. Re-heat to serve. Pour whisky or brandy into a large ladle until 1/4 full and heat the ladle over a fire. The brandy will catch fire quickly so get everything ready and everybody seated. Pour the lighted brandy over the pudding.

Serve with a brandy butter: Whisk equal amounts (20 gm each) of brandy, sugar and butter.

For the Christmas trees, use store-bought fondant or make your own to cover the tree. I used a pair of scissors with sharp tips to snip the leaves of the green spruce. To attach ornaments to the tree, use a bit of the fondant paste mixed with water.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well done

Janine said...

wow wow - this is absolutely my favorite cone! Absolutely love the white tree :) And yes, we should rmber Christmas for the message of salvation and not for the commercialized holiday it has become ;p

Unknown said...

Without a doubt its a winner!

Baby Sumo said...

Sooo impressed with the double xmas trees! Beautiful.

Lite Home Bake said...

The trees look so lovely! I love both of them. You are already the winner in my eyes! Would you be making any of these cones for your loyal fans?? :)

Elsie T said...

oh! you really did a xmas tree!!!! awww, thank you for the brilliant sharing(if you realise i did mention about it before) =) its sooooo pretty. <3 seriously, God bless you with a unique talent and passion. =)

ann low said...

WOW! This is very impressive!! Good luck to you :))

tina said...

Beautiful! You are so creative to come up with so many different ideas day after day!

Hooi Soon (@MemoriesTChest) said...

I think this is my favourite one so far! You are really talented and good luck for the last one, I am sure that will be a blast!

Yolly said...

Terri, it is beautiful and you have create a mood for x'mas. You are good!.Looking forward your next creation. You are full of surprise for your fans.

Anonymous said...

WOW! This is too pretty to eat! I am sure you are saving the best for the grand finale!

Zurin said...

beeyootiful! lovely lovely trees :)))

Martyna@WholesomeCook said...

Hi Terri! Your Christmas trees look gorgeous!!! Definitely an idea to try!

Veronica Lee said...

Wow! Terri! This tops it all. Love, love, love the white tree. What a finale! Wait, tomorrow is the finale! How more impressive can you get??!! X'mas tree, Sakura, Kinabalu, Pink Ribbon, pink molten, United Colours, eight jewels, I can't pick just one favourite! You have really outdid yourself and surpassed all expectations. Congratulations in advance, Terri, you ARE the winner! I will cry foul if you are not! Can't wait for tomorrow!

Greg Wee said...

Ooohhh pretty. I love both trees. N from Greg when I show him"Sui" in hokkien beautiful. Sugarpaste really one of ur strength...def one of my favorites of ur creations in this competition.

fieeee said...

Pretty ideas, aunty! I'm really impressed! Keep up and good luck!

Clement said...

Traditional Christmas puddings covered with sugarpaste......so beautiful. I love it. Most Perfect serving for a little person like me with teeny-weeny stomach.......Hee hee

RUNNING BROOK said...

beautiful creations. kinda like you saying I've saved the best for last. Nothing beats Xmas decorations. Wonderful Terri!

Ona said...

i like this so much..BEST!

Anora said...

Hey...

Nice ideas are provided to make fun and decorate a tree in your homes in Christmas..

Christmas Scavenger Hunt

Anonymous said...

Your are the best!.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...